Interesting and Culturally Enriching
One of the reasons Europe is such a fascinating travel destination is because of its history. Historic sites abound on the European continent – all which makes traveling Europe an interesting and culturally enriching experience.
Historical Time Periods
Europe itself is the birthplace of Western Civilization, thereby making it a historically significant location in terms of the advancement of thought and science. European history is denoted by several historical periods, namely the following:
- Classical Antiquity – which includes the histories of Ancient Rome and Greece;
- Late Antiquity – which includes the Early Middle Ages and the Dark Ages or Age of Migrations, which marked the decline of the Roman Empire;
- The Middle Ages;
- The Early Modern Period, made noteworthy by the Renaissance, the Scientific Revolution, the Protestant Reformation, and the Age of Discovery;
- The 18th and 19th Centuries – defined by the Industrial Revolution, French Revolution, and Age of Enlightenment; and
- The Modern Era or the Twentieth Century.
Major European Historical Sites
Again, the influence of these historical periods is felt in the many sites and attractions that can be seen throughout Europe – all which represent the profound effect that this part of the world has had on philosophy, science, and industry. For example, some of the major historical sites include:
- The Tower of London, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament, and Big Ben in London;
- The Eiffel Tower in Paris;
- La Alhambra – Moorish historical ruins in Granada, Spain;
- The Pantheon in Rome; and
- The Acropolis and the ruins of ancient Agora in Athens, Greece;
The Ideal Venue for Historians
Of course, the above examples are only just a sampling as you’ll see plenty in the way of historic attractions throughout the European continent. The Palace of Versailles, the Sistine Chapel, the canals of Venice, the colleges and buildings of Oxford as well as a host of other sites make history all the more meaningful in this part of the world.